Sunday, February 27, 2011

Uses of Shutters, Just Not on a Window


For a really long time now I have wanted to grab some cool shutters sitting out on the edge of a road with a sign that says FREE. I'm not totally sure what is with my attraction to them, but I feel that they could have so many different uses. First off you could paint them a million different colors to match any decor. Second, they work for a plethora of items such as pictures, jewelry, and calendars.



If you don't see any sitting on the side of the road with a sign that says 'FREE' these ones are stained a light wood color and cost $30. Also, for all of you who don't want to do the color/staining work yourself. Unfortunately, it says you should only order them if you live in Southern California, which I don't.




I love the idea of using the shutters as a jewelry 'box.' I think that it might be my favorite use of the shutter. I don't love the one with the mesh over it from Etsy, but I do really like the idea of putting the hooks on the side to hang other things. I would much rather put my earrings around the shutters like what they do for the teal one.


The one above is from Candy Calamity blogspot. She gives you some directions as to how to make them. I thought that hers turned out really well. All of this is inspiring me to make my own over the summer, when I'm not so busy with school and work.


They also make a great display for a store!








Using a shutter as an organizer in your kitchen or craft room is also a great idea. They give off such a cozy feeling and you can stuff so many different invitations and notecards in them. Along the same lines as an organizer you could find cute papers and pictures to put together a collage that will turn the shutter into a beautiful piece of art!


Looking for a cute way to store the magazine that you get in the mail every month? Hang them on a shutter! (Image from Miyspirit on Flickr)





Add the perfect country or beachy feel to your bedroom by using shutters as your headboard.

Below are the rest of the adorable ways that you can throw shutters into your home!










Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY!

3 comments:

  1. I am in love with all these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call Michelle Wood Finishing offers a range of wood finishing, staining, painting, and millwork solutions and work with homeowners, contractors, and construction companies. We service clients in Canada.

    ReplyDelete